The present St. Andrew’s Church goes back to the depression days. Nathaniel George Bull bequeathed about 2,500 pounds in 1911 for the building of a church in Cronulla. This was finally realised 23 years later at a cost of 5000 pounds. The foundation stone was laid in December 1934 and the opening of the new church took place on 3 July 1935. The Church of St Andrew’s at Cronulla is said to be one of the few of its design in the Southern Hemisphere. It is of Byzantine architecture, most unusual in Australia. St Andrew’s is well known amongst the local and wider community as the Elephant House. This is because, at the time, the most well known domed building locals were familiar with was the old Elephant House at Taronga Zoo. Although it is different from the Gothic and stone churches of England, it has something that many modern churches lack, that atmosphere that usually only comes with passing years. Its striking domed structure and graceful curves enclose a beautiful interior and a sanctuary with strong devotional appeal. The beautiful stain glass windows were added over a period of half a century and despite different styles and locations all point to our Saviour, Jesus Christ. The windows, along with other furnishings were all donated by parishioners often in memory of loved ones.
St Andrew’s Church is a beautiful building but more than that it is the place where God’s people meet together to praise Him, to pray and to learn more of Him from His word. It is a place where the door is always open to welcome those who are seeking.